Re: Autovacuum Improvements

From: Glen Parker <glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum Improvements
Date: 2006-12-20 01:00:12
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> I wonder if the simple solution is to just have a cron script modify
> postgresql.conf and pg_ctl reload. That seems very flexible, or have
> two postgresql.conf files and move them into place via cron.

I'd still prefer to vacuum on demand actually. Rather than hope that
autovacuum hit all the nastiest tables, I'd like to be able to record
the fact that tables (x,y,z) were vacuumed and how long it took. I want
the logic autovacuum uses to determine if a table needs vacuuming, but
I'd rather do the actual vacuuming myself.

I'd also like to use some of this information to issue reindex and
cluster commands only when they're needed. In fact, on days when I
cluster, there's no need whatsoever to also vacuum those tables. This
is something that autovacuum won't do at all.

If the best I got was access to the same information autovacuum uses to
make its decisions, I'd be pretty happy.

-Glen