Re: Autovacuum Improvements

From: Matthew O'Connor <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Glen Parker <glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum Improvements
Date: 2006-12-19 21:46:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Glen Parker wrote:
> If it isn't there somewhere already, I would ask to add:
>
> 4) Expose all information used by autovacuum to form its decisions.

You could argue that this is already there, although not easy to get at
I suppose. But all table threshold settings are available either in the
pg_autovacuum relation or the defaults via GUC variables, that plus a
little math will get the information autovacuum uses to form its decisions.

> 5) Expose a very easy way to discover autovacuum's opinion about a
> particular table, for example "table_needs_vacuum(oid)", ignoring any
> time constraints that may be in place.

This might be a nice feature however in the presence of the much talked
about but not yet developed maintenance window concept, I'm not sure how
this should work. That is, during business hours the table doesn't
need vacuuming, but it will when the evening maintenance window opens up.