Re: Confused by 'timing' results

From: A J <s5aly(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Confused by 'timing' results
Date: 2010-09-02 19:02:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

With this approach, I will be assuming that the query time does not change due
to client location, which though reasonable, is still an assumption. If I could
have tested without making this assumption (or any) , it would have been better.
But looks like there is no choice as getting to query time measurement for
queries fired by clients is not possible.

I would still be firing concurrent clients across the different locations but
measuring the 'psql timing' for only the queries fired on the database server.
Will extrapolate the outlier % of the queries on database server (say queries
that take more than 200 ms due to flushing of checkpoints etc) to get to the
total outliers.

This is good enough for the time being and will try it. If you can think of
alternatives where I don't have to assume/extrapolate, please let me know.

Do you think changing log_destination to syslog may make a difference (Kevin
mentioned even this timing is not totally immune from network effects but if
possible to measure should be very close to the query time) ?