Re: SQL command join question

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Ehab Galal <ehabgalal123(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL command join question
Date: 2006-11-30 00:57:18
Lists: pgsql-sql

> SELECT t1.*
> FROM (t1 outer join t2 on (t1.a=t2.a and t1.b=t2.b)) t outer join t3 on
^^
> (t1.c=t3.c);
^^ -- which one t or t1?

> I'm getting the following error message:
> ERROR: invalid reference to FROM-clause entry for table "t1"
> HINT: There is an entry for table "t1", but it cannot be referenced from
> this part of the query.

I am not use if I am about to give to the correct advice, but here is what stands out at me:

when you specify an outer join, I believe that you have to specify whether it is a
(left|right|full).

Also you are using a "t" to alias the (t1 .. t2 on (...)). First of all, I am not sure this is
good syntax, but if I am wrong I will have learned something new. That aside, if it is legal
syntax, I don't believe that you can refer to any of it's enternal tables any more. So (t1.c=...)
should really be (t.c=...).

this is what I expect would work:

select
*