Re: BEST odbc driver for windows MS Access

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Karebac <karebac(at)verizon(dot)net>
Cc: kkc(at)hydrosphere(dot)com, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BEST odbc driver for windows MS Access
Date: 2006-12-11 09:10:06
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Karebac wrote:
> I posted my question at utteraccess.com and was directed to this link as
> the best odbc driver for postgres
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/psqlodbc/
>
> I am wondering how it differs (or if it differs) from the odbc which was
> installed automatically when I installed pgsql.

It's the same code (might be a different version though). The pgFoundry
site is where the development work happens.

> That link leads to this link for Window
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=216

Not sure how you got there - some pgFoundry link I guess. Not one we've
published.

> The page at the first mentioned link ALSO least to this page
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/odbc/versions/

Yes, it says:

psqlODBC is the official PostgreSQL ODBC Driver. Downloads are available
on the PostgreSQL Mirror network at http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/odbc/

> and it is at THIS LINK that I find great confusion as to WHICH ODBC
> driver I should be downloading for my DELL Windows XP
>

> PARENT DIRECTORY

I'm sure you can guess what that one is :-)

> DLL

Thats the driver distributed as a zip of the dll's - not recommended
unless you know what you're doing.

> MM

That's the driver distributed in a Windows Installer Merge Module, for
developers to include in their own installers.

> MSI

That's probably what you want - the standard Windows Installer MSI package.

> OLD

Old (well, archaic versions)

> SRC

Source code.

> And the DLL link shows a myriad of zipped choices for download, at the
> top of the list being

Yes - unless you specifically need an older version for some reason, get
the latest. No-one is likely to support the older ones, and the first
question you're likely to be asked is 'are you running the latest version'?

I'll add a readme to that directory on the FTP site though... thought
there was one already :-(

Regards, Dave