Re: Switching to XML

From: Oisin Glynn <me(at)oisinglynn(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Switching to XML
Date: 2006-12-08 22:10:37
Lists: pgsql-docs

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> OO treats Docbook like a normal document. You will however loose styles
>>> (like bold, italic). It does support tables, it understands
>>> transformation from things like sect1 (from OO heading1) etc...
>>>
>>> The style loss is to be expected because Docbook doesn't contain
>>> representation data. That belongs to a style sheet.
>>>
>> and let me add that I'm not really anti-sgml docbook, I just couldn't
>> find a "starter set" for editing the stuff. It seemed like everything I
>> found on docbook xml was written for people who already use docbook xml.
>>

> Nor am I anti-sgml. I am however anti-noncontribution, if people are not
> contributing because of our sgml but would if it is xml, that is a no
> brainer.
>
> Further, here is a real world problem that our toolset creates...
>
> I take 5 minutes, change the stylesheet for SGML. I want to see what my
> changes will look like... 3 days later, I will know.
>
> That is stupid. If it was XML, it would be 30 minutes. That is a
> workable timeframe.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

>> TIP 7: You can help support the PostgreSQL project by donating at
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

I am not an expert in any of this but would say the one time I had
something I would have added to a doc (windows Vs *nix differences in
copy command) I was in knots with the whole SGML thing and figured it
would be quicker to just post an answer on the mailing list so it would
be immortalized, it should not be so hard to contribute. I feel there
are people who maybe cannot code or add in that way but could add to
docs if it was easier. I had an easier time setting up a pgAdmin build
than figuring out the SGML stuff.

Oisin