Re: Speed of postgres compared to ms sql, is this

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tomi N/A <hefest(at)gmail(dot)com>, harding(dot)ian(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Speed of postgres compared to ms sql, is this
Date: 2006-12-06 07:11:21
Lists: pgsql-general

> These sorts of reports would be far more helpful if they contained some
> specifics. What queries does MSSQL do better than Postgres, exactly?

Our OR-patch was inspired by our customer migrating from MS SQL to postgres.
Next, index support of IS NULL. And, there is a huge difference in performance
for queries like
select * from a,b where a.f = b.f or ( a.f is null and b.f is null)

NULL support is fast in MS SQL because MS SQL doesn't follow SQL standard: index
in MS SQL believes that (NULL = NULL) is true.

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/