Re: [HACKERS] Case Preservation disregarding case

From: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: ken(at)kensystem(dot)com
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Case Preservation disregarding case
Date: 2006-12-02 17:10:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

Ken Johanson skrev:

> Although, since I'm using pgAdmin (III) to design tables in this case,
> or creating the tables through JDBC (a convenient way to copy tables and
> data from another datasource) (using the copy-paste gesture), I believe
> those tools both *are* quoting identifiers that have camel case. And
> that their behavior can't be overridden.

I know nothing about JDBC but I've heard that pgAdmin always quote
identifiers. What you can do is to always create tables and columns
using lower case in pgadmin and then you can refer to them using any
case in your SQL (as long as you don't "Quote" the identifiers in your
SQL code).

> other users may not be. And having to recreate and issue the DDL to use
> un-quoted col names will be tedious in my case since I have ~20 tables
> to import.

Yes, it will be some work but it is at least possible to do a bunch of
renames.

> So my vote would remain for having a config-option to ignore case, even
> on quoted identifiers..

And my vote is to not have such an option. But I'm not the one who
decide so don't worry about what I think :-) I would like to have an
option to upper case the identifiers instead of lower casing them as pg
do. The sql standard say that they should be upper cased. But as far as
I know there are no plan at the moment to add such an option either.
Some time in the future I expect it to be implemented only because it's
the standard.

/Dennis