PostgreSQL win32 fragmentation issue

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL win32 fragmentation issue
Date: 2006-12-02 06:58:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I ran a simple test... I ran defrag on my drives. Then I initialized
pgbench with a -s 1000.

11% fragmentation. I dropped the bench database, and my fragmentation is 1%.

I know this isn't *our* fault :) but I am curious if there is anything
we can do about the way postgresql writes files to help limit fragmentation.

Essentially, this makes win32 impossible in a 24x7 environment (jokes
aside about Win32 in general) because we *have* to defrag on Windows and
Windows won't defrag open files (thus anything PostgreSQL is using).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake