Re: initdb problem on Windows XP Home

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: adurrant(at)cogeco(dot)ca
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb problem on Windows XP Home
Date: 2006-12-01 15:02:54
Lists: pgsql-general

adurrant(at)cogeco(dot)ca wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me.
>
> Yes, I have a "postgres" limited account that will own the files. (This was the one created by the installer.) In
> order to ensure the this user has access/full control to "C:\Program Files\Postgresql\8.1", I used the "cacls" command
> to edit the access control list and add postgres:f.
> i.e. I ran
> cacls "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1" /t /e /g postgres:f
>
> (I've discovered this morning that I can boot in safe mode to get the Security tab on folder properties in XP Home.
> I'll check that this evening to see if it looks correct.)
>
> However, to continue with your suggestion, after running the cacls statment above, I did log in as postgres and then
> ran:
> initd -D "C:\Program Files\Postgresql\8.1\data" ...
> Yes, I did include the double quotes (due to the space in "Program Files") but it was still the same result. "could not
> create directory "C:/Program Files": File exists".

Hmm. That doesn't make any sense to me. I'm guessing it's a different
error code behind the scenes. I suppose you can issue
cd "C:/Program Files"
dir
successfully as user postgres?

If so, try forward slashes to match the output of the error message:
"C:/Program Files/Postgresql/..."

If that's still not working and none of the Windows guys pop up, I'll
try and reproduce it on my XP-Pro laptop.
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd