Re: Out of file-descriptors message

From: John Allgood <jallgood(at)the-allgoods(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Out of file-descriptors message
Date: 2006-11-30 13:23:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> John Allgood wrote:
>
>> Hey Tom
>>
>> I assume that if it is the kernel running out of descriptors that I
>> would get the messages in dmesg. This message only appears in the log
>> file for that database.
>>

> Yeah, the point is that you have the max_files_per_process setting
> higher than what the kernel likes. So decrease it, and Postgres will
> adjust itself to use less file descriptors by closing and reopening
> files as needed.

I really can't see that is possible file-max is set to 838860. I believe
it is based on the amount of ram on the machine and we have 8GB. ulimit
-a reports you can have 1024 open files. I thought maybe we were running
out of descriptors for the postgres user but that should not bring down
the machine. Thoughts anyone.