NAMEDATALEN and performance

From: Alessandro Baretta <a(dot)baretta(at)studio(dot)baretta(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: NAMEDATALEN and performance
Date: 2006-11-29 11:31:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

Gentlemen,

I use a modeling language which compiles down to a fairly verbose SQL DDL. If I
use semantically transparent identifiers in the modeling language, the compiler
easily generates identifiers much longer than the default value of NAMEDATALEN.
I am considering the possibility of rebuilding the server with NAMEDATALEN equal
to 256. I have seen an interesting thread [1] about the performance impact of
raising NAMEDATALEN, but it did not seem conclusive. Are there commonly accepted
correlations between NAMEDATALEN and server performance? How would raising its
value impact disk usage?

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-04/msg01253.php

Ing. Alessandro Baretta

Studio Baretta
http://studio.baretta.com/

Consulenza Tecnologica e Ingegneria Industriale
Technological Consulting and Industrial Engineering

Headquarters
tel. +39 02 370 111 55
fax. +39 02 370 111 54

Lab