Re: Only MONO/WinForms is a way to go

From: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Only MONO/WinForms is a way to go
Date: 2006-11-28 19:05:49
Lists: pgsql-general

John DeSoi wrote:

> As I mentioned previously, XUL is worth a look for cross platform
> applications. I would call FireFox, Mozilla, and Thunderbird serious
> applications. And check out Komodo, an excellent cross platform
> development environment built on this framework.

They are serious applications, but they don't exactly have a lot of
forms and look how long Mozilla was in development.
Sure XUL might be cross platform, but how productive is it?
The reason there is no highly productive IDE for Linux/Mac with a nice
forms designer and robust data binding is because in the grand scheme of
things there are not a lot of
desktop users for anything other than win32. Sure there are lots of
geeks that use Linux for their desktop, but not everyday users.
Everyday users are the ones companies etc want to make software for and
Linux etc just does not have those kind of users yet.
The mac does, but they are small in number
CodeGear(Borland devtools group) will make a IDE for Mac or Linux when
they can make a viable return on investment. They experimented with
Kylix, but it failed because they initially priced it to high and many
open source users will not pay even a reasonable amount for a IDE.

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design