Re: "Optional ident" authentication

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Optional ident" authentication
Date: 2006-11-28 15:42:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Florian G. Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> writes:
>
>> I believe it would be sufficient to add an additional column to pg_hba.conf
>> called "On Failure". The value could either be "Continue" or "Abort", with
>> the default being "Abort" to match the current behaviour.
>>

> Then you get into the problem that it has to work for *all* auth
> methods, which in general it will not, because the client probably isn't
> prepared for multiple auth challenges. Jeroen's kluge avoids that by
> only working for an auth method that doesn't involve a client challenge.

Yes, if we did that we'd probably have to fix libpq to allow for it (and
any native protocol implementations such as JDBC). Can the wire protocol
handle it?

> The example you cited is easily implemented without any new features,
> anyway, using "samegroup":
>
> local all samegroup ident sameuser
> local all all md5
>
> where users are made members of the group/role named after the database
> they are allowed to log into without a password.

I was just composing almost this identical example ;-)

'samegroup' is a much overlooked feature, I believe, and should be
extremely useful for hosting providers especially.

cheers

andrew