ParsedStatement Behavior

From: alfranio correia junior <alfranio(at)lsd(dot)di(dot)uminho(dot)pt>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ParsedStatement Behavior
Date: 2006-11-28 02:31:13
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Please, if there is any archive on this let me know.
I was wondering if the reasons to have an specific protocol in order to
prepare statements are:

1 - Previous versions of the driver used PREPARE and EXECUTE to
implement server-prepared statements. This is supported on all server
versions beginning with 7.3, but produced application-visible changes in
query results, such as missing ResultSet metadata and row update counts.

2 - The need to transfer strange data types such as circle, point.

3 - To Improve performance as binary data type is usually shorter and
avoid converting from text to binary and vice-versa.

Disregarding such reasons, might I use "prepare name statement" ?

Regards,

Alfranio.