Re: How to increace nightly backup speed

From: Glen Parker <glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to increace nightly backup speed
Date: 2006-11-28 01:26:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 19:13 +0200, Andrus wrote:
>> I need to create nightly backups to separate computer over internet from 8.1
>> server
>>
>> I tried to run pg_dump to make backup using command
>>
>> "..\pg_dump\pg_dump.exe" -i -Z9 -b -v -f "C:\061127 mybackup.backup" -F c -h
>> 81.50.12.18 -U myuser -p 5431 mydb
>>
>> but this takes 4.5 hours to complete.
>>
>> How to increace backup speed ?

I agree to use online backups. But, I bet the majority of your backup
time is spent compressing your data (-Z9).

The solution I'm currently using (both with online backups and pg_dump)
is to copy all the data to an alternate volume uncompressed, then
compress it (nice gzip -1). This allows the backup itself to happen as
quickly as possible, and then the compression can run for awhile without
having a large IO impact on the main data volumes. I worry about how
long the initial copy/dump takes, but not so much after that.

-Glen