Re: "Optional ident" authentication

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Optional ident" authentication
Date: 2006-11-27 13:10:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>>> My personal itch is that I'd like to have an "ident sameuser"
>>> authentication that falls back on, say, PAM authentication when system
>>> user A wants to log into postgres under a different username B.
>
> You can accomplish that with
>
> local sameuser all ident sameuser
> local all all pam

You put "sameuser" in the database column instead of the "user" column -
was the intentional? I've just tried this with "sameuser" in the user
column, and it didn't work for me. I've also searched the docs, and I
only found three references to "sameuser". One described "ident
sameuser", while the other two were in the changelog, and told me that
"sameuser" support in the _database_ column was introduced in 6.4, and
that quoting removes the special meaning of sameuser since 8.0.

Should sameuser work instead of all in the user column?

greetings, Florian Pflug