Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to change psql default banner v6
Date: 2008-05-15 14:43:24
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Oh, good point. Let me look at that. Thanks. You prefer:

> $ sql test
> psql (8.4devel)
> Type "help" for help.

> test=> help

Well, the question is still "where is the optional info going to go?"

I think what I'd find nice looking is

$ psql test
psql 8.4devel [ server version warning here, if needed ]
[ line with SSL info here, if needed ]
Type "help" for help.

test=>

I do feel that the help statement ought to be on its own line;
the other way is going to look cluttered, particularly as soon
as there's a version warning in there.