Re: Data directory on read-only media

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data directory on read-only media
Date: 2005-11-21 21:52:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> writes:
> There's also this TODO:
> Allow a warm standby system to also allow read-only queries [pitr]

> In fact, I was originally thinking of that. I should've mentioned it.
> It has the same issues with transactions and WAL as running from
> read-only media, so I decided to start with the seemingly easier case.

No, it hasn't got anywhere near the same issues, primarily because you
don't have to have a 100% rock solid guarantee of no disk writes. Thus
for example there's no problem with updating hint bits, nor with
preventing use of temp files.

I concur with Peter's opinion that a PG demo that is hard-core read-only
is not going to be very useful. It certainly won't have a lot to do
with either the behavior or performance of the system in live use, which
would render it not only not very interesting but close to being false
advertising.