vacuum: out of memory error

From: Jakub Ouhrabka <kuba(at)comgate(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: vacuum: out of memory error
Date: 2006-11-24 10:59:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I have few of these messages in server log:

ERROR: out of memory
DETAIL: Failed on request of size 262143996.
STATEMENT: VACUUM ANALYZE tablename

There are few of them, always the same request size(?) but different two
databases (out of 100+) and few different tables (pg_listener,
pg_statistic and few slony tables). Vacumm analyze is issued by
pg_autovacuum.

We're also seeing strange behavior of listen/notify in possibly
corrupted database: there are notify events being received by listen
process which the process didn't subscribed to. Can this be connected?

I've done little research in mailing list archives and I found possible
cause: table corruption caused by flaky hardware. Does it sound about
right? Are there any other possible causes?

What can be corrupted? How can I check it? How can I correct it? What
are possible consequences of this corruption? How can I investigate it
further?

It's Postgresql 8.0.6 on Linux.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,