Re: intermittent failures in Cygwin from select_parallel tests

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: intermittent failures in Cygwin from select_parallel tests
Date: 2021-06-22 12:18:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/22/21 2:42 AM, Noah Misch wrote:
> I was wondering about suggesting some kind of
>> official warning, but I guess the manual already covers it with this
>> 10 year old notice. I don't know much about Windows or Cygwin so I'm
>> not sure if it needs updating or not, but I would guess that there are
>> no longer any such systems?
>>
>> <productname>Cygwin</productname> is not recommended for running a
>> production server, and it should only be used for running on
>> older versions of <productname>Windows</productname> where
>> the native build does not work.
> I expect native builds work on all Microsoft-supported Windows versions, so +1
> for removing everything after the comma.

If we just want to declare Cygwin unsupported I can halt lorikeet and we
can be done with it. Brolga is on its last legs anyway, as we can't
built on NT past release 10.

It's worth pointing out that Cygwin psql is built with readline, which
makes it rather nicer to use than the Native builds. We still have this
in configure.ac:

# readline on MinGW has problems with backslashes in psql and other bugs.
# This is particularly a problem with non-US code pages.
# Therefore disable its use until we understand the cause. 2004-07-20
if test "$PORTNAME" = "win32"; then
  if test "$with_readline" = yes; then
    AC_MSG_WARN([*** Readline does not work on MinGW --- disabling])
    with_readline=no
  fi
fi

I have no idea if it's still true. My msys2 system (fairywren) has
readline installed. Assuming I disable this piece of code and build with
readline, how would I test for the errors reported in 2004?

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan