Re: [HACKERS] thread-safe libpq and DBD::Pg

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] thread-safe libpq and DBD::Pg
Date: 1998-08-09 23:01:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
> php3 uses PQoidStatus, so I can imagine great problems if we change the
> libpq interface. I am afraid we are stuck with char*.

Yeah, I can't really see breaking applications just for a marginal
improvement in cleanliness.

There is a possible compromise however: we could leave PQcmdTuples and
PQoidStatus defined as-is (but do something to get rid of PQoidStatus'
use of a static return area), and add two more functions that have more
reasonable return conventions. The documentation could describe the
older functions as deprecated.

Perhaps the int-returning forms could be named "PQCmdTuples" and
"PQOidStatus" (note difference in capitalization) ... unless someone
has a better idea.

Does anyone think this is worth the trouble, or shall we leave bad
enough alone?

I do intend to get rid of the static return area for PQoidStatus in any
case. I'd also like to fix the problem with PQconninfoOptions not being
treated as a constant (specifically, the "val" fields are being used as
working storage). Is anyone aware of any applications that would be
broken by removing "val" from the PQconninfoOption struct?