Re: Hello World

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Andreas" <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hello World
Date: 2006-11-21 09:45:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Andreas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all I'll have to confess I don't know next to nothing at all
> about JAVA, yet.
> On the other hand I'm not exactly new to programming nor PostgreSQL either.
>
> Is there a "Hello World" level sample for jdbc with PG?

I'd suggest to read the Java Tutorial by Sun:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

and after you got the basics, move on to the JDBC trail of the tutorial:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jdbc/index.html

> Lets suppose I allready have a running PG with a db db_test that has a
> few tables among which there is tbl_test in schema s.
> The db-server might be 192.168.0.100.
> User could be "user1" with password "pw1".
>
> What would be minimally needed to connect to db_test and read the
> content of tbl_test to the console and logg off from PG.
>
> I'd prefer a complete sample code that could be dumped through javac.

A sample attached. Save it to a file called JdbcTest.java, modify the
server address, database name, table name etc. to suite your needs, and
compile with "javac JdbcTest.java". To run, add postgresql.jar to your
classpath. For example:

java -cp path/to/postgresql.jar JdbcTest

--
Heikki Linnakangas

Attachment Content-Type Size
JdbcTest.java text/x-java 396 bytes