Re: [Pgcluster-general] PostgreSQL Documentation of High Availability

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: a(dot)mitani(at)sra-europe(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Pgcluster-general] PostgreSQL Documentation of High Availability
Date: 2006-11-21 08:23:53
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hello Bruce,

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> OK, but how does explaining the terms help our users?

As we even have on sort-of-a solution for shared disk clusters (the
Shared Disk Failover part), we should explain this term (as you already
do there).

Clarifying that all other solutions are for shared nothing clusters
makes sense, IMO. We don't necessarily need to go into shared memory and
the confusion which shared everything introduced. OTOH, where else to
enlighten people about that if not in such a documentation?

To answer your question: by explaining these terms, they are
demystified. The users will understand the experts better and have some
fundamental terms which they can base their discussion on. Of course
it's questionable how far to go, and we are debating just that now, I think.

But I have no doubt in the OSS tradition of good documentation. Long
live the saying 'RTFM'! :-)

Regards

Markus