Re: idea: global temp tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: idea: global temp tables
Date: 2009-04-28 15:58:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> we have already concluded that the spec's
>> GLOBAL/LOCAL TEMP TABLE distinction is not related
>> to cross-session persistence of the table definitions

> How do you reconcile that conclusion with the following,
> from ISO/IEC 9075-2:2003 (E), 4.14 Tables:

The point is that what we call "temp tables" are not either global or
local temp tables by the spec's definition. If we invent something that
behaves as Pavel suggests, then it could be considered either a global
or a local temp table per spec (without any module support you can't
really say which it is). We're stuck in a terminological problem
anyway, but it will get a whole lot worse if we fail to acknowledge that
there's more than one property involved here.