Re: Multiple result sets

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Joris Dobbelsteen <Joris(at)familiedobbelsteen(dot)nl>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple result sets
Date: 2006-11-19 19:50:28
Lists: pgadmin-support

Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:
> At this moment I like pgAdmin III except for one slight detail:
> * Multiple results when executing a query.
>
> For example, when executing something like this:
> SELECT * FROM table1;
> SELECT * FROM table2;
> the query tool will only show the results of the last query.
>
> Probably I'm spoiled by Microsoft's SQL analyzer. That tool shows the
> results of both, which is very convinient. (Probably something similar
> should apply to analyzeexplain query as well).

This is not currently supported by PostgreSQL - from the docs
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/libpq-exec.html):

It is allowed to include multiple SQL commands (separated by semicolons)
in the command string. Multiple queries sent in a single PQexec call are
processed in a single transaction, unless there are explicit
BEGIN/COMMIT commands included in the query string to divide it into
multiple transactions. Note however that the returned PGresult structure
describes only the result of the last command executed from the string.

> A secondary limitation is the inperfect copy and paste support of the
> results to Excel, which is a pitty.
>
> Is their anyway arround this or perhaps its forthcoming on future
> releases?

Imperfect in what way? It works fine for me. What are your copy
quote/delimiter settings (under File->Options) set to? You need to use
Tab as a delimiter on Excel on Mac - iirc, it's the same on Windows.

Regards, Dave.