Re: autovacumm not working ?

From: Tomasz Rakowski <mourawi(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacumm not working ?
Date: 2007-06-27 21:21:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Matthew,

Thank you for reply.

I was trying to configure autovacuum for given table to be more aggressive (min=100, scale factor=0.01).
Then waited for autovacuum to be activated for given table
(watching Server status window; about 1000 updates/min, 30.000 rows in the table, so didn't have to wait too long).

When autovacuum was done I started VACUUM VERBOSE manually (to be more precise 6 sec later).

I expected that VACUUM VERBOSE will show me just few records to be removed (maybe around hundred), but in fact it reported 3200 record to be removed. It seems that autovacuum was started (anyway I expected it to be activated little bit earlier) but haven't do anything.

Any suggestions why ?
Do you know what is a difference between acivated autovacuum and VACUUM for given table ?

Tomasz