Results from testing 1.6.1 rev: 5646:5652M

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Results from testing 1.6.1 rev: 5646:5652M
Date: 2006-11-16 21:48:01
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi developers! Hi Dave!

After the release is before the release, huh? :)
Testing 1.6.1 rev: 5646:5652M, client Win XP. Host Debian Sarge, PG 8.1.4

- Cancel in "View Data Options" now works as expected. I have seen no
more crashes.

- Find and Replace
Replacing now works as expected, I think you have nailed the endless
loop for good.
However, there seem to be issues with "Regular expressions"-search.

After extensive testing (symptoms were not coherent) I think I found the
root of the problem:
Looks like an undead echo of the umlaut / non-latin1 issue. Every
appearance of a German umlaut makes the selection fall back by 1 character.
'Replace' will stop working after the first occurrance of an umlaut.
I would guess your algorithm counts bytes instead of characters and
2-byte-characters mess with the count.
Try searching this text, with "Regular expressions" checked, seach for
'x' or '[[:digit:]]x'
'
54321x 54321x
54321x 54321x
54321x 54321x
54321x 54321x
54321x 54321x
no umlaut here
54321x 54321x
'

Concerning the options "From the top" and "From the cursor": That seems
to work as described now.
As I mentioned before, my preferred solution would be to wrap around
searches: start at the cursor, continue from the top (maybe after
asking) until cycle is complete, like vim or Firefox do it.
Would make this option dispensible. If you decide to keep it, I would
name it "From top" and "From cursor".

- New: OUT parameters of functions are mistaken for IN-Parameters.
Functions with OUT-Parameters are incorretly displayed. Operations on it
will fail with accordingly incorrect error messages.

Test case:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION f_test(IN a integer, OUT b text) AS
$BODY$
BEGIN
b := 1;
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

This function will be displayed under "Procedures" as "f_test(integer,
text)" in the object tree. Should be "f_test(integer)"
Deleting it from the object tree will fail with the accordingly
incorrect error message:
An error has occured
Fehler: Funktion f_test(integer, text) existiert nicht.
Meaning: Error: Function f_test(integer, text) does not exist.
Trying to change properties per dialogue with fail as well.
Interestingly, changing the Comment on the function works alright
(expected this to fail as well.)
I think this issue has been present in previous releases, but I did not
bother to test.

BTW: what exactly makes a procedure a procedure and not a function?
OUT-parameters, right?
I wouldn't mind, if functions and procedures were merged in the object tree.

Regards
Erwin