Re: Postgres server crash

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Craig A(dot) James" <cjames(at)modgraph-usa(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres server crash
Date: 2006-11-16 10:48:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

Russell Smith wrote:
> Craig A. James wrote:
>> Questions:
>> 1. Any idea what happened and how I can avoid this? It's a *big*
>> problem.
>> 2. Why didn't the database recover? Why are there two processes
>> that couldn't be killed?

I'm guessing it didn't recover *because* there were two processes that
couldn't be killed. Responsibility for that falls to the
operating-system. I've seen it most often with faulty drivers or
hardware that's being communicated with/written to. However, see below.

>> 3. Where did the "signal 9" come from? (Nobody but me ever logs
>> in to the server machine.)
>>
> I would guess it's the linux OOM if you are running linux.

If not, it means the server is hacked or haunted. Something outside PG
issued a kill -9 and the OOM killer is the prime suspect I'd say.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd