Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Banner ads

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Banner ads
Date: 2006-11-15 16:18:27
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> Yes, I understand.
>>>
>>> While you may not have the need to get paying advertisers,
>>>
>> I feel that
>>
>>> rotating ads of open source projects which use pgsql was an
>>> interesting idea, even though it was partly abandoned
>>>
>> during the site restyle.
>>
>>> There is a fairly good number of monthly ad impressions (without
>>> banners on the home page) and it's just a pity to avoid using them.
>>>
>> Just an aside ... the banners that are in rotation are all
>> 'freebies', we haven't done a paid ad in a few months ... the
>> ones that are still in rotation (CMD, EDB, Hub) are just
>> companies supporting PostgreSQL (ie. developers or
>> infrastructure) ... adding in appropriate open source
>> projects wouldn't be a stretch, IMHO ...
>>

> (copying this thread over to -www)
>
> I just loaded up a couple and got ads for www.samspublishing.com,
> hub.org (many different), commandprompt, pgsql inc, postgresql.org (we
> put ads for ourselves there? Interesting!), one for pgadmin (that came
> up after only about 50 reloads), one taht says "advertise here" that
> links to the wrong server.
>
> That means that if we remove the commercial sponsor ones (which are
> already listed under sponsors) and ourselves, we have *only* pgadmin
> left? (And it came up extremely rarely - don't know if that's just
> random, or if there is priority on the hub.org and commandprompt ones)
>
> My personal opinion is that it looks rather unprofessional with the
> bannerads. *especially* the ones that are actually animated - that looks
> *really* bad. In some situations it also slows down site loading
> noticably (though it's much better since the last round of fixes Marc
> and me did a while back).
>
> So I still claim we're better off finding a *different way* to promote
> these OSS projects. (They're listed under /download/ now) And if the
> current exposure of the sponsors isn't good enough, let's look at a
> better way to do those as well.
>
> And given that we're no longer pulling in money or have actual contracts
> on teh bannerads (which we did last time this was discussed), I formally
> suggest that we should now go ahead and remove them from the site as
> soon as we can.
>
> //Magnus
I'm surprised...lots of these ads seem to be google ads, and google
should be paying someone for them... However, I think the site has a
cleaner look without ads...and I agree with the statement about ads
being a bit "noisy" (the animated ones).

On the other hand, IMHO sponsors should be recognized for their
donations, etc...but I believe that is already in the works...

--
Chander Ganesan
The Open Technology Group