Re: On what we want to support: travel?

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher <stefan(at)net-tex(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Date: 2006-11-06 22:18:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Does Sun, by any chance, plan on getting into TPC for Sun Supported
>> PostgreSQL? Alternately, perhaps one of the companies that has a
>> PostgreSQL based product would be willing to foot the bill so that the
>> community could have some nifty benchmarks... I would think that they
>> could see the ROI - just by the ability to better classify PostgreSQL
>> among the bigger boys. I would think that a number of corporations with
>>

> Well as JoshB said, SPI could be a member for about 1500 bucks. I don't
> think TPC testing is much of the issue. CMD would be willing to sponsor
> pure PostgreSQL TPC testing if done through SPI.

Hmm...I had the (perhaps mistaken) impression that the value in TPC is
not so much in the meetings (which are apparently, highly political ;-)
), but rather in the benchmarks and being able to be favorably compared
to other TPC benchmarked databases...no?

Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC 27560