Re: updating to 7.4.13 helped it appears

From: Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: updating to 7.4.13 helped it appears
Date: 2006-10-31 19:00:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I'm not 100% sure what you are saying here, but if it is what I believe,
> then you didn't copy the newly compiled executable into the production
> machine; that won't work. You need to use a debug-enabled executable
> both to produce the core file, and to pass to GDB for inspection.

This is correct, I did not copy the executable to the production
machine. I suspect I'll be copying the binary over to the production
system.

I moved the core file to the development machine where I built the new
binaries. Ran gdb against this core file and the postgres binary on
this machine. The core was not generated on the development machine.

> On the other hand, if you can reproduce the failure on the development
> machine, that core file would serve just fine. (You'd only need to copy
> the tables and relevant data from production to said machine).

I have not had any success in duplicating the failure on my development
environment. I suspect it's because I can't generate the volume of
users. The production system could well have 150-200 users at one time
and we get a core file generated about 3-4 times a week, generally on
the busiest days.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

- Benjamin Franklin