Re: On what we want to support: travel?

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Date: 2006-10-31 03:37:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> These opportunities should be widely disseminated to try and find available
> people. I certainly agree to advocacy group needs to be doing a better
> job of representing Postgres at conferences. A page listing upcoming
> conferences and speakers needed would be nice.

I have to second this. I think that we'd be willing to put human
resources into attending these things if there was a list up (so we
could schedule events). I would've gone to LISA, but it didn't make it
on to my calendar soon enough. I'm even willing to speak/present, and
have staff that could do the same... The same is true of the recent
Linux conference in the UK...

I'd even take it a bit farther and say that some $$$ could go into
listing some of the PostgreSQL core members (Bruce, Josh, Tom?) in one
of those directories that reporters use to find sources for articles (I
forget what it is called). Such a listings value would be quantifiable
after the first year (in number of calls/articles) and would provide
industry authors a positive postgresql reference... On second thought,
I would even list the things not "in doubt", allowing the community to
choose to fund (or even partially fund) sending someone to a
conference. That would allow some conference speakers to find their own
sponsors - or even try to "split the difference" with a conference
organizer.

Do we have any metrics as to the usefulness of the CD's? I know that a
lot of people walked away with them at LWE-SF, but I really have to
wonder how many of those CD's ended up in a drive. Is it possible to
have a "phone home" type metric that we can use with these to measure
how useful they are? They seem cool, but I don't know that they are
worth the $$$. BTW, I think someone needs to do a full vacuum before
re-creating the CD's.

Might it be useful to have a page listing things that need funding that
are "in debate" and let people choose to fund them if they want to?
That would allow the community to focus spending on generally accepted
stuff and then leave the "in debate" stuff for last (and hopefully some
of it will be picked up along the way). We'd just need some suggested
$$ amounts.. This goes along the same lines as feature funding...

Anyone consider making a "donate to PostgreSQL" "tip" (such as the one
at the bottom of this email)?

--
Chander Ganesan
The Open Technology Group