Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

From: Ganbold <ganbold(at)micom(dot)mng(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities
Date: 2006-10-31 01:50:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

David Fetter wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 09:10:36AM -0500, Chander Ganesan wrote:
>
>> Ganbold wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm new to postgresql and I'm looking for references and books. We are
>>> usually coding in php/C.
>>>
>>> Can somebody recommend me good books which covers Postgresql 8.x?
>>>
>>> Which one is worth from following books?
>>>
>>> 1. PostgreSQL (2nd Edition) by Korry Douglas (Paperback - Jul 26, 2005)
>>>
>> I highly recommend this book. It's a very thorough coverage of
>> PostgreSQL - the most complete one out there IMHO. We provide this
>> book as supplemental material with our PostgreSQL courses, and
>> before choosing it we examined most of the PostgreSQL books on the
>> market...this one definitely takes the cake.
>>

> I heartily second this recommendation.

As lot of people recommend I will definitely buy first book. Also
will consider second book since it seems like easy to read and follow.

>>> Also I'm thinking to convert our mysql db and application to
>>> postgresql. Is there any method to convert mysql db/app to
>>> postgresql, maybe at least DB (tables, indexes, queries)? Are
>>> there any tools that can convert php functions and database from
>>> mysql to postgresql?
>>>
>> If you wrote your PHP code using one of the abstraction libraries
>> (PEAR::MDB2, PEAR::DB, PDO, ADODB) then it should be relatively easy
>> to do the conversion. If you did not, then it could be time
>> consuming (though not overly difficult).
>>

> Getting your data into PostgreSQL will not be difficult.
>
> However, one reason that people convert to PostgreSQL is to scale up.
> To do this, you will need to re-design your database to use
> PostgreSQL's features, and MySQL's non-standard constructs will make
> this harder.

Well, this is true. I have to change my "mysql" mind and
start exploring postgresql capabilities and construct everything.
Right now my mysql app only uses a lot of simple select/insert/delete
queries,
so I have to change some of those using features like triggers/views/stored
procedures etc. What I'm thinking is first create db and change every
PHP mysql functions
into postgresql. Then step by step will try to improve/change queries.

Thanks a lot for all who answered to my questions.

Ganbold