Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
Cc: Ganbold <ganbold(at)micom(dot)mng(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities
Date: 2006-10-30 17:00:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 09:10:36AM -0500, Chander Ganesan wrote:
> Ganbold wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm new to postgresql and I'm looking for references and books. We are
> >usually coding in php/C.
> >
> >Can somebody recommend me good books which covers Postgresql 8.x?
> >
> >Which one is worth from following books?
> >
> >1. PostgreSQL (2nd Edition) by Korry Douglas (Paperback - Jul 26, 2005)
> I highly recommend this book. It's a very thorough coverage of
> PostgreSQL - the most complete one out there IMHO. We provide this
> book as supplemental material with our PostgreSQL courses, and
> before choosing it we examined most of the PostgreSQL books on the
> market...this one definitely takes the cake.

I heartily second this recommendation.

> >Also I'm thinking to convert our mysql db and application to
> >postgresql. Is there any method to convert mysql db/app to
> >postgresql, maybe at least DB (tables, indexes, queries)? Are
> >there any tools that can convert php functions and database from
> >mysql to postgresql?
> If you wrote your PHP code using one of the abstraction libraries
> (PEAR::MDB2, PEAR::DB, PDO, ADODB) then it should be relatively easy
> to do the conversion. If you did not, then it could be time
> consuming (though not overly difficult).

Getting your data into PostgreSQL will not be difficult.

However, one reason that people convert to PostgreSQL is to scale up.
To do this, you will need to re-design your database to use
PostgreSQL's features, and MySQL's non-standard constructs will make
this harder.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778 AIM: dfetter666
Skype: davidfetter