converting from Sybase to Postgres

From: "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: converting from Sybase to Postgres
Date: 2007-03-20 00:03:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to convert a lot of data from Sybase to Postgres. As this will
be a painful process, I was wondering if there are any utilities and
programs to ease the conversion process. Specifically, I'm looking for help
in 3 areas.

1. Recreation of the schema, especially converting triggers, data types, and
functions.
2. Converting SQL scripts and cron jobs where there are incompatibilities (
e.g. sybase : isnull(...) :: postgres : coalesce(...) ).
3. There is an ancient GUI that we use to interface to sybase (it's based on
APT, I believe). The nice thing is it can run external commands, and
interfaces somewhat nicely with Kerberos. Is there any piece of middleware
(preferably GUI-based, though web-based may do) for postgres that can do
this?

Of course I can spend hours tracking down cron jobs, apps, and scripts,
painstakingly recreating triggers and functions, and write my own GTK-based
GUI, but if there's anything that can help me, please let me know.

Peter