Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: Michael Dean <mdean(at)sourceview(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-10-28 20:04:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Michael Dean wrote:

> just a little side note. We have had postgresql 8 up and running on
> some of our websites now for 18 months or so. we were able to fresh
> install it with one of our php based template systems in a little over
> an hour, with not a squeek of problem since. works right out of the
> box! With that kind of reliability, why do we need a dba?

my last postgresql installs were a breeze. the point is more that if you
want replication you actually have a choice. some things need to be
pulled from contrib modules etc. in mysql most things come out of the
box and there are less choices to make.

that being said, your chances of getting a bad query plan are much
higher with mysql (for example mysql only supports nested loop joins ..
no hash or sort merge joins). but i guess a lot of these applications
stay below the in my experience magic mark of joining more than 5
tables. so they are not bitten by this problem all that often.

regards,
Lukas