Re: [HACKERS] COPY does not work with regproc and aclitem

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] COPY does not work with regproc and aclitem
Date: 2006-10-26 14:11:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Alvaro Herrera napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>> Tom Lane napsal(a):
>>> This is not a bug and we're not going to fix it, most especially not
>>> like that.
>> OK, The behavior of regproc type is described in the documentation, but
>> if we don't fix it, than Some error message like "Regproc data type is
>> not supported by COPY TO command" could be useful. Because you find that
>> something is wrong when you want to restore data back and it should be
>> too late.
>
> But it works as "expected". If the approach you suggest would be one we
> would take, then it should emit the same error on SELECT as well,
> shouldn't we?

It is right.

> I think the problem is that regproc COPY is not useful to you for your
> particular use case. But there are workarounds, like the one I
> suggested and you promptly ignored.

Yes, I read your suggestion It is useful form me thanks for that. But I
thought how to remove that regproc limitation or how to avoid some
confusing. Current mention about regproc limitation/behavior in the
documentation is really best solution.

By the way, If I read carefully your suggestion, Tom's answer and
documentation, correct solution (theoretical) is replace regproc by
regprocedure datatype in the catalog, but there is problem in the
boostrap phase?

Thanks Zdenek