Re: [DOCS] Replication documentation addition

From: Cesar Suga <sartre(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Replication documentation addition
Date: 2006-10-25 06:51:35
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I also wrote Bruce about that.

It happens that, if you 'freely advertise' commercial solutions (rather
than they doing so by other vehicles) you will always happen to be an
'updater' to the docs if they change their product lines, if they change
their business model, if and if.

If you cite a commercial solution, as a fair game you should cite *all*
of them. If one enterprise has the right to be listed in the
documentation, all of them might, as you will never be favouring one of
them.

That's the main motivation to write this. Moreover, if there are also
commercial solutions for high-end installs and they are cited as
providers to those solutions, it (to a point) disencourages those of
gathering themselves and writing open source extensions to PostgreSQL.

As Bruce stated, then should the documentation contemplate
EnterpriseDB's Oracle functions? Should PostgreSQL also come with it?
Wouldn't it be painful to make, say, another description for an
alternate product other than EnterpriseDB if it arises?

If people (who read the documentation) professionally work with
PostgreSQL, they may already have been briefed by those commercial
offerings in some way.

I think only the source and its tightly coupled (read: can compile along
with, free as PostgreSQL) components should be packaged into the tarball.

However, I find Bruce's unofficial wiki idea a good one for comparisons.

Regards,
Cesar