Re: Connection bug

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: Re: Connection bug
Date: 2006-10-23 22:36:20
Lists: pgadmin-support

dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk wrote:
> OK, I should warn you that connecting like this is completely untested
> and not something we've ever said we'll support. But I'll do what I
> can... :-)

You might consider this method of connecting tested now - I tested it a
lot over the last few years. :)
It works just fine, except for the reported problem. But I can connect
otherwise.
The upside of this method is that I can connect without password (or
saving passwords anywhere on the disc) and still have the security of an
RSA-key for SSH (using puTTY and pageant for this).

>> Connect again. Password is being remembered, login is auto.
>> Disconnect
>> again.
>> Uncheck "Store password". Connect again. Do not supply password.
>>
>> An error has occurred:
>> fe_sendauth: no password supplied
>>
>> This message comes 3 times. (Maybe because there are 3
>> databases visible?)
>> Focus is on the first database. (->screenshot
>> "before_crash.png") When I
>> hit <F5> now, pgAdmin crashes.
>>
>> Note: If you just try to connect without password without
>> these steps,
>> pgAdmin does not crash, you are not connected at all. And the error
>> message was slightly different (!!):
>>
>> An error has occurred:
>> Error connecting to the server: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
>>

> I've made a couple of changes to fix the password related issues that
> George reported. I have a hunch that the second fix might resolve your
> problem. I'll mail across an update in a minute for testing if you
> wouldn't mind.

Sorry, crash is still reproducible. On a second thought: what actually
crashes pgAdmin is the refresh.
My special way of connecting only creates a situation, where refresh can
do its evil deed.
The other involved issue is, that pgAdmin requires a password, even
where it is not required. I can live with that (especially as I
understand what's going on an how to avoid it). Less prepared users
might be less happy.

Regards
Erwin