Re: profiling on win32

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: profiling on win32
Date: 2005-08-23 19:20:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

"Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com> writes:
> has andbody managed to get profiling working on windows? I'm hacking
> the makefile.global with -pg in CFLAGS the postgres library compiles ok
> but the next one fails:

> what I am I doing wrong? libgmon.a is provided with mingw.

It could be that libgmon.a can't be linked into a shared library.

(I deal with this all the time on HPUX; it's basically impossible to get
any profiling data about shared library add-ons. However, you can
install your profilable postgres executable into a matching installation
tree built without profiling, and go from there. The data about the
core system will all be fine --- its basically just the PLs and encoding
conversion that you can't measure.)

Theory B is that it's one of those symbol-visibility issues that we've
seen before. Don't recall how to fix that on Windows though.