Re: Re: "effective_io_concurrency" cannot be changed error when starting 8.4.2 instance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Kevin Kempter <kevink(at)consistentstate(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: "effective_io_concurrency" cannot be changed error when starting 8.4.2 instance
Date: 2010-02-09 01:36:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

> The error means that your system does not support the system interface
> we need to support prefetching. In that case effective_io_concurrency
> will be a read-only parameter set to 0 and any attempt to set it will
> result in an error.

I wonder whether it would be better to have it still be a read-write
parameter, but with min/max values equal to zero. All the other cases
where we have read-only parameters, they're *always* read-only. It
seems a bit odd that this one is platform-specific not only as to the
allowed range but whether it can be assigned at all.