Re: BUG #2694: Memory allocation error when selecting array

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Vitali Stupin <Vitali(dot)Stupin(at)ria(dot)ee>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2694: Memory allocation error when selecting array
Date: 2006-10-18 10:00:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Vitali Stupin" <Vitali(dot)Stupin(at)ria(dot)ee> writes:
>
>>The error "invalid memory alloc request size 4294967293" apears when
>>selecting array of empty arrays:
>>select ARRAY['{}'::text[],'{}'::text[]];
>
> I can get a core dump off it too, sometimes. The problem is in
> ExecEvalArray, which computes the dimension of the result as [1:2]
> even though there are no elements to put in it.
>
> Joe, what do you think about this? Offhand I think that the only
> workable definition is that this case yields another zero-dimensional
> array, but maybe there is another choice?

Sorry for the slow response -- I'm at the airport just heading home from
a marathon 30 day business trip.

I think producing another zero-dimensional result is the only way that
makes sense unless/until we change multidimensional arrays to really be
arrays of array-datatype elements. Right now they're two different things.

> We should probably check all the other array operations to see if they
> have comparable problems.

Yes -- I'll see if I can find the time over the next couple weeks while
home.

Joe