Re: ERRORDATA_STACK_SIZE exceeded

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>
To: Stefan Sassenberg <stefan(dot)sassenberg(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERRORDATA_STACK_SIZE exceeded
Date: 2006-10-17 12:37:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Stefan Sassenberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a failing sql-Script that I execute with the psql command. The
> Script contains:
>
> ----------------------------8<-----------------------------
> SET CLIENT_ENCODING = 'LATIN1';

<snip>

Stefan Sassenberg wrote:
> As I see it, ERRORDATA_STACK_SIZE is a constant that is defined in the
> code (pgsql/src/backend/utils/error/elog.c) as 5. 5 illegal bytecodes
> that postgresql finds in my statement are enough to cause the panic.

Could the difference between CLIENT_ENCODING = 'LATIN1' and
database_encoding = UTF8 create the illegal bytecodes?

I just found a way to get a similar error -
create db with utf8 encoding
save file with the create table command - save as unicode-utf16

I then get -
%>psql enctest < test
ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xfe
HINT: This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match
the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by
"client_encoding".

If I save the file as latin1 or utf8 I have no problems.

I would be looking for the error somewhere in the (some other
statements) part and would expect an invisible/unprintable char of some
sort.

--

Shane Ambler
Postgres(at)007Marketing(dot)com