Re: encoding problem

From: "pobox(at)verysmall(dot)org" <pobox(at)verysmall(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: encoding problem
Date: 2006-10-13 20:26:56
Lists: pgsql-general

jef peeraer wrote:
> i never thought i would be bblocked by an encoding problem :-(
> My database is in LATIN1 , i have entries like this in a table called
> gemeenten
> Column | Type | Modifiers
> ---------------+----------+--------------------------------------------------------
>
> id | integer | serial....
> gemeente | text | not null
> postcode | smallint | not null
> provincies_id | integer |
>
> This data is copied from a dump from that table
>
> 9780 Quévy 7040 7
> 9781 Quévy-le-Grand 7040 7
> 9782 Quévy-le-Petit 7040 7
>
> So, the accents are there. But with my web page, which is set to
> ISO-8859-1, i don't get the accents.
> The web-pages are build with XUL, where i set the charset to ISO-8859-1,
> but communication with the server is through XMLHttpRequest.
> Do I have to specify the charset as well in the communication between
> server and client ? Or where else could it go wrong.
>
> jef peeraer

I am not sure where your problem is, but we have used a PostgreSQL
database with the default encoding (ISO something or ANSI something,
can't recall right now, but not Unicode or so) for several years storing
all kind of encodings inside and outputting them successfully.

Only the browser encoding must match the original encoding.

Don't know if this helps, just wanted to give you our example.

All best,
Iv