Re: "Hanging Connection" blocks access to table (JBossMQ)

From: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Hanging Connection" blocks access to table (JBossMQ)
Date: 2006-10-13 11:52:57
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi, Tom,

Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Goldner <mgoldner(at)agmednet(dot)com> writes:
>> When I shutdown Jboss, the idle process disappears, but the 2 "INSERT
>> waiting" processes remain indefinitely.
>
> Ah. That makes sense, because a backend blocked partway through a query
> isn't going to notice its client disconnecting. The question here
> though is still "what are they waiting for?". See pg_locks.

Is there any possibility that we make a backend realize this SIGIO (or
whatever it gets) when the connection is closed? I often had the problem
that I shut down my application, but the server kept working on that
query for a long time.

The same is for very long running C-Code functions (like PostGIS
geomUnion() on geometries with millions of vertices), those also tend to
block the backend for long times, without any possibility to kill it
except SIGKILL.

Thanks,
Markus
Dipl. Inf. | Software Development GIS