Re: [HACKERS] Hints proposal

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Cc: postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Hints proposal
Date: 2006-10-12 16:45:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Csaba,

> I guess the angle is: I, as a practicing DBA would like to be able to
> experiment and get most out of the imperfect tool I have, and you, the
> developers, want to make the tool perfect... I don't care about perfect
> tools, it just have to do the job... hints or anything else, if I can
> make it work GOOD ENOUGH, it's all fine. And hints is something I would
> understand and be able to use.

Hmmm, if you already understand Visual Basic syntax, should we support
that too? Or maybe we should support MySQL's use of '0000-00-00' as the
"zero" date because people "understand" that?

We're just not going to adopt a bad design because Oracle DBAs are used
to it. If we wanted to do that, we could shut down the project and
join a proprietary DB staff.

The current discussion is:

a) Planner tweaking is sometimes necessary;
b) Oracle HINTS are a bad design for planner tweaking;
c) Can we come up with a good design for planner tweaking?

So, how about suggestions for a good design?

--Josh Berkus