Re: Access2000 & sequence as primary key in view : #DELETED

From: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
To: thewild(at)freesurf(dot)fr
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Access2000 & sequence as primary key in view : #DELETED
Date: 2006-10-11 17:57:06
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> The fact is that we are talking about ODBC here.
> The difference between a table and a view is that in the table one
> record as one value of the sequence, forever. With a linked view in
> access, if I sort the table or query it in anyway new sequence numbers
> are given to all the fields.

I really don't see how that is possible. A Postgresql sequence when
used in a Serial Type only generates a value on a insert.
I have tons of views that reference tables with columns that are serial
and they don't regenerate themselves when I sort the table in Access.
Not to mention PG views are read only ( unless you have some rules
defined) The only problem we have had with sorting in access is with
varchars used as function OUT params which Access thinks are memo fields
and we got around that using views that cast them to varchars with lengths.

You have me totally lost as to the problem you are really having :-)

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design