Re: Access2000 & sequence as primary key in view : #DELETED

From: Arnaud Lesauvage <thewild(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Access2000 & sequence as primary key in view : #DELETED
Date: 2006-10-11 16:49:34
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Tony Caduto a écrit :
> That's not the problem, a sequence is just a integer generator for a
> integer field/column that has a nextval function in the columns default
> value.
> The view and the table don't know anything about the sequence other than
> the reference to it in the columns default value.
> Sequences are completely independent of any view or table and a serial
> type is not a real type since it simply places a nextval function call
> in the columns default value(and some entries in the pg_depend table).

The fact is that we are talking about ODBC here.
The difference between a table and a view is that in the table one
record as one value of the sequence, forever. With a linked view
in access, if I sort the table or query it in anyway new sequence
numbers are given to all the fields.

> Here is a example table that at one time always got the # deleted in
> Access 97, then we modified it like so:
> > we simply added a record id field to every table and made that the PK,
> then to enforce the constraints we had before in the PK we created a
> unique index.
>
> We have not had a problem with the # deleted entries showing up since we
> did this to all the tables in Postgresql.
>
> When using ODBC ACCESS does use the PK in the PG tables and it only
> works with a single integer value. Maybe newer versions of Access
> behave differently with ODBC linked tables but I kind of doubt it.

I know about all these problems with Access, and all my tables are
configured in such a way that the #DELETED problem never arises.
The problem is with this view. (sorry to insist, but it really
does matter here that the linked table is a view)