Re: select count() out of memory

From: tfinneid(at)student(dot)matnat(dot)uio(dot)no
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: tfinneid(at)student(dot)matnat(dot)uio(dot)no, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: select count() out of memory
Date: 2007-10-25 15:26:57
Lists: pgsql-general

> tfinneid(at)student(dot)matnat(dot)uio(dot)no wrote:
> It will work on a million partitions and more, provided you do
> operations on single partitions.

Thats good enough for me, thats exactly what I want. I just used the
select count() on the root to get a feeling of how many rows it was in
total. An then I thought that the error message was just a configuration
issue. But since doing operations like that on the the root table of this
magnitude is not a good idea, I won't.

> What you want to do is not possible, period. Maybe when we redesign
> partitioning, but that's far into the future. Kindly do not waste our
> time (nor yours).

Thank you for that prompt reply.

In all fairness, thats why I asked the question here, to find out the
facts, not to be abused for being ignorant about pg.

thomas